Thinking of going to University? || Advice from Personal Experience.

/
0 Comments
Here I am, finally half way through my final year so what better time than to post about my University experience and what I would change if I could go back and do it again.

The biggest thing I've learnt at Uni is that, quite frankly, I don't think it is for me! However, I still think coming to uni was the best decision I have ever made. It sounds a bit contradictive (I don't even know if this is a real word, but it fits so lets roll with it) I know!

I'll give you a bit of background to my 'Uni Experience'. I go to the University of Leeds, it is a fabulous institution, I've been rather impressed with it over the years and I study Psychology (I question why I'm doing this every day). Originally I'm from between Manchester and Liverpool, so it was the perfect distance away, far enough to not run into anybody from home but close enough that I can easily drive back if needs be. So yeah, quick little bit of background, now for the advice:

1. Halls

Make sure you live in halls for the first year. If, like me, you think you don't want to be dealing with people everyday and would rather be living in a studio/flat on your own it is not wise. Fortunately, I was placed in halls with a flat between 6 of us, if I hadn't have been in this flat I wouldn't have made any friends in the first year of uni and most definitely wouldn't have had anyone to live with in second year! It's great to have a group of people you're forced to meet to get you out of your shell, as daunting as it can seem!

2. Course Choice

I chose to do Psychology as I figured it seemed employable, interesting and mainly because I hadn't done it before. Probably a stupid choice, over the course of 3 years there have been roughly 3 or 4 modules that I have been really passionate about, but as for the rest I couldn't have cared less. I really wish I had that passion for all my modules, and the degree as a whole but I don't! So my advice here is choose a degree you're passionate about/will enjoy. This mainly applies to those who have no idea what they want to do in life (I'm still stuck and clueless!), I've always loved art, photography and design so I really wish I did a degree following that path, the only reason I didn't was because I thought a degree in those subjects was pointless and probably wasn't valued as much as a BSc.. How very close minded of me, the degree I'm using now potentially won't come in much use but had I chose an art based subject I potentially would have enjoyed it a lot more! So make sure you do something you love. That being said, psychology is a great degree just a lot of it isn't to my taste. 

3. Get a job!!

Seriously, get a job. Whether it be in gaining relevant experience (which, apparently, is a reaally important thing to do to get a job in most fields), or a simple bar/restaurant job I would definitely advise it. Not only does it allow you to get extra cash whilst at uni it is such a great place to make new friends and to get chatting to new people! I was, and am, terrible at making friends at uni but at works I just clicked with a lot of people. I worked as a Shot Girl* on weekends, and I honestly loved it. Through that job I found some of my best friends and my boyfriend, then I moved onto another bar job where again I've met the majority of my friends in Leeds! Working is the thing I've loved most about uni, met so many amazing people. As mentioned earlier, it's also a great time to gain experience in areas that interest you, although the experienced I've gained hasn't been relevant to psyc I have gained experience in areas such as modelling which has been a fantastic experience! Get out there and see what you can do.

*I worked for Smoking Drinks as a shot girl, they have work in a large array of regions. If you fancy a job with them, find them on facebook or at smokingdrinks.com and apply! 

4. Get Involved

I think my biggest regret at uni is not getting more involved with the clubs and activities. In first year I was a competitive cheerleader as I had been doing that for a year or two before uni. I loved it, it was great getting to compete with such an amazing team! However, because I'm so bad at making friends and barely went out to the socials I wasn't as involved as I could have been, I definitely shot myself in the foot there! So don't hold back and get involved! There are so many societies I would have loved to give a go such as yoga, pole dancing, Harry Potter and Pokemon but I've just been too shy/scared to do it. I have nobody else but myself to blame for this! Oh well, I've learnt my lesson now and know to join in when the opportunity arises! Learn from my mistakes.

5. Get out of Town

Finally, Uni is the perfect excuse to move out and to experience what it's like to live in a different town/city! Don't miss out on this opportunity. With grants and student loans it's the one time where you'll be best funded to do it, especially those who are lucky enough to have their parents financial support as well. That being said, rent prices are generally pretty high for students and can take up your full student loan, but if you also decide to get a job you should be able to manage quite fine. Living on your own is a great experience and I have never looked back. You get the freedom you've always wanted and it gives you the independence you need. Again, living out is the perfect way to make friends! It gives you something in common with those at uni and can throw you in with a group of people if you do decide to reside in halls. Living on my own has been the best experience about uni in my eyes, and I'm pretty certain I'd find it troubling to have to move back in with my parents now (Sorry Mum and Dad, love you really!). So yeah, give it a go and move out! - although I may be preetty biased on this one, since I can remember I've constantly had it drilled into me that I should move out of the town I've grown up in, regardless of that though it has been fab. Get to play by your own rules!




And there we have it! My best advice for those going to uni, although I'm sure the majority of uni goers would probably have had it figured out I know I would have appreciated a little more advice along these lines when I was applying. 

All in all, do what makes you happy. There will be ups and downs, and alternative routes should you wish to take them! All I know is my uni experience (if it has really been a proper uni experience) has been fab even though there are a few things I wish I could have changed!


I would love to hear any advice you all have for future students and of your university stories! Please leave some comments about it.


Pictures from weheartit.com 


You may also like

No comments:

Instagram

Powered by Blogger.